Sunday 7 October 2012

ROW80 Check-in 7th October 2012

I don't know where the days are going at the moment. It only feels like a few hours ago I posted my Wednesday check-in but here we are again. Since I am slightly lost in the woods at the moment with regards to my writing I set myself these goals.

1) Read two books a week for 100+ reading challenge (or as much as I can!).
2) Work out what I am going to do next with my writing.
Right, goal 1. I have hardly read this week. I usually read a lot but work is picking up pace and I just haven't had the time. I want to try and make more time for this in the coming week so this goal remains the same. I know I am way behind where I should be at this point in the year towards the 100+ books challenge but I am not going to work out how far behind. I will just keep reading and I have some great books in my TBR pile so it is no hardship.

Goal 2. I wrote on wednesday about my confusion about whether to plough on with my current WIP Matchmaker even though I am a bit unmotivated by it or plot something new for NaNo. Here were my options:

1) Be a NaNo rebel and carry on with Matchmaker but probably not win as there aren't 50,000 words left.
2) Don't take part in NaNo and carry on with Matchmaker. I don't like this option.
3) Start something fresh and return to Matchmaker at a later date.
And the winner is Option number 3!!! I have decided after listening to the advice of the lovely people who commented and thinking about it at every available moment to put Matchmaker to one side (as I seem to have done already) and plot something new for NaNo. So I guess goal number 2 is complete!

So this weeks goals are:
1) Read two books a week for 100+ reading challenge (or as much as I can!).

2) Decide on a genre and story for NaNo.

See how easy it is? Decide on a genre and story....if only it was that easy! I am toying with the idea of fantasy but the world-building and my lack of knowledge is putting me off slightly. I know I have lots of possible story ideas in one of my notebooks for chick lit books so I think I will head in that direction.

I was worried last week people would think I am not being as 'serious' as I could be this round by setting myself goals such as 'decide what to do' rather than 'write for x amount of time or write x words'. I have found though by setting myself the goal of deciding what to do it has focused my thinking. I have thought an awful lot about writing and my writing over the last week so even though the goals are different from what I usually set, they are working for me. And that is what ROW80 is all about right? I hope you goals are working for you and you have a wonderful week!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm gonna be a NaNo rebel.
    I intend to start a new WIP this week, but it'll go slow because of all the edits I have to do, so I'll keep writing it during NaNo. If I somehow I finish before the end of November, I'll start another WIP and add the word counts ;)
    You're doing great, Em.
    And now you should have fun, while trying to come up with genre and a story. I love the planning part ;)
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for new projects!! Whatever your goals are they are your goals; and so as long as you are happy with them and making progress on what you need (and want) to make progress on they are, I think, serious! Keep up the good work and have fun with the planning! Like Juliana, I love that part; So much time to discover and build! Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choice, Em! NaNo is an excellent opportunity to explore a new story and kick those creative juices into action. Going to be a rebel with you, although my NaNo project won't be completely new. I'm drafting a novella this week and will be doing another in the series for NaNo (which helps on the world-building, prep side of things). Looking forward to seeing you in NaNo again this year. It will be a fun time!
    Have a fantastic week, Em :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goals.
    I would have done the same with Nano. Being away from the current WIP gives you perspective on it. :)
    I am also struggling to decide what to do though so you're not alone there.
    Have a great week. x

    ReplyDelete