Monday 21 April 2014

ROW80 Check-in 21st April 2014

I am a day late with this because of Easter family plans but better late than never!

My goals for week 2 were:

1) Research on location.
2) Write first draft.
3) Check-in on Sunday.

Even though I am a day late with the check-in I am pleased to say all goals have been met. Two weeks in a row, who'd have thought it!?

We had a wonderful time in Bruges. It truly is beautiful and so calm and peaceful. I read lots of the guidebook on the way out there and then took notes of things I thought would work in the story. I sat outside a cafe in a gorgeous square for an hour enjoying a hot chocolate and scribbled down most of draft one of my short story. I managed to finish it off on the way back, partly due to a three hour delay, so I have a very messy, handwritten first version. But it is a start!! It features a lot of recapping which I wasn't sure about so I may try and write in the present tense but the word count limit of 1,000 to 3,000 means I need to keep things tight. We'll see.

So, as we go into week three my goals have changed slightly as the short story deadline is now the 7th of May not the 1st. This allows for more editing/revision time. My goals are:

1) Type up draft one.
2) Possibly try another draft in present tense.
3) Edit, revise, mould, burn, cry and repeat.
4) THINK OF A TITLE! (Note: I suck at this!)
5) Check-in on Sunday.

I am hoping for another successful week, I just need to not let the day job take over as it usually does. I hope you have all had great weeks and fingers crossed I'll have more good work to report next week!

E.x

4 comments:

  1. I am so jealous of your holiday, but so glad that you got a chance to take it! Excellent job on getting a draft done, even if it is messy. I am starting to think that I may need to just whip out my pens and a few legal pads so I can hammer out both my dissertation and all those darn WIPs.

    Good luck pulling the short story together, and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the holiday was ambrosia for your muse, Em. And good for you in all the other ways too. Congrats and keep up the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for a successful week! Bruges is such a lovely city in the spring, isn't it? Hope this week is just as productive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well done on the draft - and yay for pen and paper never let's one down:) holoday seems to have worked on creative muse well - all best for this week

    ReplyDelete