Sunday 19 February 2012

ROW80 Check-in 19th February 2012

As always quick recap of goals:

1) Do 30 minutes of something writing related each day.
2) Test mile - 250 words a day.
3) Read two books a week for 100+ reading challenge.

4) Review one book a month. (Done for this month and can be seen here )
5) Exercise twice a week.
Even though I haven't managed any #row80 sprints this week I have kept on top of things since Wednesday.

Thursday
379 words in 20 minutes
10 minutes reading up on writing in the first person
Aqua Aerobics One hour

Friday
852 words in 30 minutes
20 minute walk

Saturday
596 words in 30 minutes
10 minute walk

Sunday
15 minute walk
No words as of yet.....

I have been plodding on with writing my WIP in the first person. I really like it and think it is the right thing for the story, it is just I am slow at writing this way! I read up on writing in the first person and the number one rule seems to be staying away from too much use of 'I'. One article (I can't remember which) says when editing hightlight every single 'I' and try to do something different with it. I also need to work on showing not telling which I am embarrassed to say never really understood before! If anyone has any links to advice on showing not telling they would be most welcome here!

Apart from today (so far!) I have done 30 minutes of something writing related, met and exceeded my test mile every day, read more than two books (I am on book 15 of the year) and posted my book review. I also met my exercise twice goal and exceeded it! This feels so so so so good! Walking and swimming are going to be my new best friends I have decided.

So happy bunny this end and although it has not been a blaze of glory week I have got everything done. I have loved having time to read although I did have to invest in some reading glasses on friday as my reading, writing and the day job are straining my eye muscles! They are cute and quirky though so I don't mind.

I am going to use the extra 15 minutes I did earlier in the week so today I will write my test mile for 15 minutes and then my week will be wrapped up nicely. Hope everyone is doing well and I look forward to reading some check-ins :)

16 comments:

  1. Great job on the exercise front, Em. Swimming sounds perfect for you, way less strain on the knees. I would bet that most of us wear corrective lenses of some type (glasses for me, just not in photos *smile*).

    Keep up the fantastic work and have a super week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great week, Em! Glad you were able to fit everything in plus spend time with the family and relaxing.

    I have not yet had to tackle the showing not telling hurdle, but I do see articles on it all the time. I don't think I've saved any, but I'll forward any over that I see pop up this week. I bet if you post a couple tweets and tag #row80 and #mywana (a HUGE writer's tag), you'll get some helpful people to send advice.

    Have a great week! Hope to catch you at some sprints :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Em :) I'm green with envy that you found time to read this week...but it's a good kind of envy. I need to schedule that in and stick to it. Are you enjoying the aqua aerobics? I hope that works well for you - definitely easier on the body.

    Keep up the great work hon! Happy bunny indeed!! :)

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you inspire me to read more because I feel like I've been whipping through the books this year so far. Feel good though. :) I heard that most women's fiction is written in first person. I decided to go for 3rd person for some reason probably because I'm a beginner and 3rd came more naturally. however, I am dreading editing the point of view if it comes down to it.

    The BEST learning tool for me for showing vs. telling was seeing examples. Don't have any links or books but I could try to give a very lame example.

    Tell:
    Sarah was nervous about her interview.

    Show:
    Sarah sat on the hard chair, her leg bounced up and down and she fidgeted with her purse.

    Tell:
    Bob made a sandwich.

    Show:
    Bob slapped a piece of bread on the counter, threw ham on it, squirted some mustard on top and clapped another piece of bread to complete his sandwich.

    I know they are really crappy examples, but I think it explains it better than looking at it theoretically. I don't think its possible to always SHOW in a story, otherwise it would be 200,000 words long. But I think it might be more important to show character's feelings, reactions, behaviors and to tell when you want to move the plot a long a bit faster. Ex. Character drove from A to B, and the drive itself isn't important to the story.

    Hope this helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this, very helpful!

      Delete
  5. Great job on your goals!
    I struggle with show, don't tell too ...

    Links:
    http://nailyournovel.wordpress.com/2012/01/22/show-dont-tell/
    http://edittorrent.blogspot.com/2012/01/question-from-comments.html?spref=tw

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the links....will have a good read!!

      Delete
  6. have to remind myself of the show instead of tell too. usually do that in the editing process if I don't get it in the first draft. give yourself permission to just get it written and then add all the detail you want later. In my third edit, I delete all the extra stuff anyway. good luck. happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Editing is going to be a big big job as the first 50,000 words are in the third person! Nice to know I am not the only one who struggles with showing not telling. Great tips, thank you!

      Delete
  7. Great job with all your goals!!

    I think we are all familiar with "show, don't tell" but then we forget once we start writing.

    Sorry for the crappy example but here's one:

    "You don't understand," he said with frustration. - Telling

    He slammed his fist on the table. "You don't understand." - Showing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this Claudia, examples are so helpful!

      Delete
  8. I think showing in first person is harder than third. At least that's what I've found with the piece I'm working on now. Great job with your goals! Best of luck with the upcoming week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh, you've had a great week! I love seeing how much you manage to get done in just 30 minutes of writing. :D

    My NaNo story is 1st person, so I definitely get the challenge of trying to transition from 3rd person. I've been reading a lot of 1st person novels to get a feel for it (Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, Susanna Kersley's The Rose Garden, and Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel Dart series are my most recent 'guides'). Claudia and Nicole gave some really great examples for the difference between showing and telling, but I'd also recommend checking out The Bookshelf Muse. They've got this fantastic 'emotion thesaurus,' which offers a bunch of examples for how to convey anger and other emotions.

    http://thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com/

    Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey Em! I've been trying to read more as well...I recently acquired about 12 novels along the same lines as the Genre I'm trying to break out in, and It's been tough juggling 12 hour work days, writing, and reading my new "research"..You did great this week! I'm proud of you!:) Look forward to seeing you over at my place! I did a review of the book The Alchemy of Stone by Ekaterina Sedia, have you read the book?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Em. You are a rockin' and a rollin'... and hey, we should start planning that Reading Holiday... (although I must say I am loving the Poetry Pilgrimages I keep taking!)

    And yeah, showing vs telling is so significant in engaging writing and YES! Illustrating via examples is the only way I "got" it. I actually found exercises in elementary education materials. I don't remember EVER being taught this in school but I suppose I was?!

    ReplyDelete