Wednesday 4 July 2012

ROW80 Check-in 4th July 2012

Well in two short days I haven't achieved alot but things so far are going ok....

My goals are:
1) Until 1st August Spend 30 minutes atleast a day on preparing for my new WIP.
2) Think of a name for CampNaNo project!
3) Two ROW80 check-ins a week no matter how short but sweet they are.
4) Read two books a week for 100+ reading challenge (or as much as I can!).
5) Review one book a month.

Here is how my week has looked so far.

Monday
After deciding and declaring goals I spent 30 minutes reading through the scrappy notes I had made for my new project. Now these notes were made when the idea came to me and I just jotted them down so I didn't forget. My memory is somewhat different to the reality as I remember pages and pages of genius ideas. Instead I found two pieces of paper, one with a loose plot (very loose) and one that said - 1) need setting, 2) need characters, 3) need plot. No what I was hoping for but I still like the idea which I guess counts for something!

Tuesday
After a chat with Lauren (I say chat to pretend we don't live on different continents!) I decided to give the way she plots a whirl. I guess it can be described as quite mathematical but I found it did help me pace out my plot points. The method is to write 1 to 48 down the side of a page, divide it into 4 parts and each part into four chapters. Then each chapter has three scenes. This way plot point one comes at the start of part 2, plot point two at the start of part 3 and plot point three at the start of part 4. Of course the number of chapters and scenes can be flexible but I did find it helped me get a 'visual' of my story. I am sure this is a well known method (or a variation of one) but as I am still finding the plotting method that works best for me it was nice to try something quite methodical. As opposed to my random plotting in the past which meant I tend to race through things. I am sure some people will run screaming from this method but it might spark something in someone somewhere!

Wednesday
I have been thinking of setting and main character today at work. An odd thought strikes me about her appearance or character and I am going to need to start carrying a small notebook for such occasions. Tonight I have spent time re-reading parts of craft books I have found helpful with this and have scribbled down a page of ideas about her.

So, goals 1 and 3 are on track. Goal 2.....not so much. Have come up with a few names but they aren't quite right. I guess I could just decide on a working title for now. Goal 4 is going ok, I have finished book 46 and am now reading 'Fifty shades of Grey' for book 47. A friend leant it to me and I just need to see what all the fuss about! I should be finished soon as it is an easy read but I doubt this will be my July book review as the world is saturated with people's opinions on it at the moment so goal 5 will have to wait a while!

I hope everyone is having a great start to the round!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good start to the process. Titles can take a long time to settle on a good one, so I wouldn't worry about rushing too much.

    I'm interested to hear what you think of your newest form of plotting. I'm so intrigued by the process that different writers use.

    Good luck with ROW80!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't often have a good title for a book until I'm into it a little bit. Best wishes coming up with one.

    I find that plotting approach interesting. I have been using Larry Brooks's story engineering approach which works in fourths as well. I track where I'm hitting my plot points on Scrivener as I write.

    Hope you have a great ROW80! So glad to see you again, Em.

    ReplyDelete