Monday 2 July 2012

ROW80 Round 3: My goals!!

I saw a link to someone's R0W80 goals on twitter and had a moment where I thought 'Round 3? Is round 2 over?' See I have been absent and vague of late and since I finished my WIP I haven't written a thing. Not even a ROW80 check-in. Yes I wrote a mini blog birthday post and a book review but that is it. I predicted I would lose my way under the pressure of work and sadly I was right. But here I am, round 3 and ready to go!!

Now since writing 'The End' on my WIP I have been at a bit of a loss. I know I should edit it but I also know that is going to be a mammoth task. Some of you may remember the first 50,000 words are in the third person then I decided to write in the first person. Yes. It is in somewhat of a mess. I won't put it off forever as I love the premise of the story but I know editing is going to be a long task and I need to be in the right mindset for it. But then I wasn't motivated to write something new. Basically motivation had left the building.

Then yesterday in a twitter conversation with the lovely Lauren and Lena somehow the topic of CampNaNo came up and all of a sudden I felt excited! Excited by the idea of actually doing something with a plot idea I had a while ago, very excited by the fact as a teacher I am not at work for the whole of August therefore writing time should come easier and very, very excited to be doing it with some of my lovely ROW80 friends!! It was decided. We would all give it a go. I also mentioned it to a friend here (the one who knows about my blog!) and she is up for it too! For more details on CampNaNo look here!

So with just under a month to go my goals for this round will start off being NaNo prep and on the first of August change to being all about the word count. I started mulling the idea over today and I realised I need to think about everything. I have the premise and even how I think it will end but I need a setting, characters, a plot, and everything inbetween! I am not sure where to start but I think it will be with the characters or plot. I have a vague idea in my head about the sequence of the plot but wow does it need padding out. But I am excited by the challenge.

So here they are, my goals:

1) Until 1st August Spend 30 minutes atleast a day on preparing for my new WIP.
2) Think of a name for CampNaNo project!
3) Two ROW80 check-ins a week  no matter how short but sweet they are.
4) Read two books a week for 100+ reading challenge (or as much as I can!).
5) Review one book a month.


While my writing has been off the agenda reading is still how I love to spend my time. I am reading book number 46 of the year which is behind schedule as I should be reading books 53 and 54 this week but I am not doing badly.

I hope to meet goal 3 every week because this ROW80 community it so amazing that if I check-in, read the check-ins of others and comment where I feel I can then I will get so much more out of the next few months.

Here is to a great round!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Glad you're on for round 3 again!
    Hm, yeah, I would love to participate of CampNaNo in August, but I'll have to wait until we're closer to be sure ...
    Sweet but short list and yet lots to accomplish!
    Good luck, Em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey look, it's Em! (grins) Great to see you and glad you are with us this round. Camp Nano sounds like the perfect thing to get those creative juices flowing again and I know you'll do great. Have an excellent week and round :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with Round 3 and with CampNaNo in August. I just finished the June edition and it definitely got my creative energy flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! A shiny, new challenge to kick start the old ambition....Perfect! :)

    Best of luck with the CampNaNo, Em! But don't forget your finished novel. Edit slowly if you're not that into it right now, but don't forget about it. You poured so much hard work into it! :}

    Have a great week - see you at next check in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wheee! Great goals, Em! I might be biased because somewhere in the dark hole of last week, I agreed to CampNaNo...SO now I guess I gotta get with it. Thank goodness you'll be there to kick my butt!

    Maybe some time away from the finished project will be good?? You'll be out of words by September, so you can always set that as your project for that month. Planning in October, Nano in November, die a little in December, and WORLDWIDE EDITING PARTY to kick off the new year!! <--Yes, clearly I need more sleep :D

    Good luck with everything, and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am completely on-board with this timeline! Count me in as well. :D

      Delete
  6. Great goals, chica! I'm glad to see that you're jumping in for this round, and even more excited to see that you are up for CampNaNo in August. I don't know if I'll be a NaNo Rebel again and work on an existing WIP or if I'll go for something new, but regardless, I will be participating with you and Lauren. Can't wait for the madness!

    ReplyDelete